Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Return of Quick Hits

It's been a while since I posted (as I'm sure you've noticed). I'll have a couple of posts up hopefully later this week and from then on I hope to post at least once a week. Grand goals indeed. Till then here are a couple of quick hits.

1. Picked up my first packs of 2009 Topps today. I like them. It looks like Topps stepped up the photography a bit for their base set this year. My favorite part of the card might be the little factoids that line the top of the back of the card.

One of the cards I received was a Mickey Mantle. Not unusual as he has been a part of their sets for the last few years. What was weird was that his position was listed as "shortstop". I'm thinking I see a gimmick here. Could there be 9 variations of this card - one for each position?

2. The Lightning season is done. Finito. No playoffs for these boys. Blowing a 3 goal lead to a team they're chasing in the playoffs is not good. Starting Mike McKenna in net also not good. Hopefully Mike smith is back on Saturday as planned.

3. Mojo. Didn't know about it, don't like it, won't use it.

4. Rays offseason gets a solid B+ so far. Shored up the bullpen and found a right handed power bat. Matt Joyce for Ed Jackson was a solid trade. Nice young bat for a pitcher that was expendable and it opens up a spot in the rotation for David Price. Friedman and Co. are showing themselves to be quite wily.

5. Jon Gruden's firing. About 3 seasons overdue.

6. Liverpool's loss to Everton. Sigggghhhhh. Rafa can't get these guys motivated to win against lesser talent. Coming off the big win against Chelsea they were flat in this game and are now out of the FA Cup. Looming larger would be the injury to Steven Gerrard. Hamstring injuries never heal fast and they're in a fight for first in the Premiership.

that's it. back to regularly scheduled programming this weekend.

No comments: