Monday, March 5, 2007

Jesus Saves.... and so does this guy...

I wasn’t going to post anything tonight, but then I watched a hockey game. It was the only hockey game on the T.V. and I felt kind of obligated to watch it because I am one of the 15 people that has the Vs. network. So I watched the Islanders of New York skate against the Rangers of New York. A shoot out decided the game for the Rangers 2-1, but it was a fantastic game.

I’m not saying that just because I want more people to watch hockey games. It was the type of game that can convert the casual fan. It had everything – plenty of offense despite the low score, hard hitting on both sides and truly sublime goaltending.

Rick Dipietro’s biggest claim to fame so far this season was when he signed a 15 year $67 million contract. Tonight he was simply the MAN. 56 saves, including one with the back of his head, he prevented the game from getting out of hand. Despite the loss the Islanders have to be happy with the way he played. It’s nice to know your goaltender is at the top of his game going into the playoff stretch.

A couple of other notes from the game:

With about 4 minutes left I informed the pork chop left on my plate that if the Rangers lost this game their season was over. Right now they are 2 points out with 2 games in hand and still in the race. I then ate the pork chop. It was good.

Jaromir Jagr isn’t the same player he was a few years ago. He’s well off the pace he set last year when he scored 123 points. He just doesn’t seem to have the extra gear that he used to have when he could dominate the game. He’s still good, but not an elite player.

Former Lightning members Paul Mara and Michael Nylander were on the ice. Mara played solid, but isn’t anywhere near the prospect he was once thought of. Nylander is still the same – pass first, shoot never. Even his one shot late in the game was half hearted at best.

Neither one of these teams scared me when it comes to matching up against the Lightning. They just don’t have the speed up front. Speed and pressure kills the Lightning and I didn’t see either one of these teams displaying that.

Mike Emerick is one of the best hockey announcers around. As my buddy Link has mentioned – Vs. is very strong on their hockey coverage. It’s just a shame that no one is watching.

In other new Jay Feaster was named the 2nd best GM in all of professional sports by Forbes Magazine. The only one Forbes thought was better than Feaster was Kevin McHale. I take these lists with a grain of salt, but it’s always nice to see the home teams ranked high. See here for the entire list:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/02/sports-greatest-gms-biz-cz_jg_0302gms_2.html.

No comments: