Yeah, yeah, yeah Opening Day was yesterday, but this site has never prided itself on promptness. After all, if I'm not mistaken I still owe my readers an O's preview and a list of predictions. Hopefully, by this weekend they will be posted.
In the meantime here are some random observations:
- I'm typing this as 10.38pm on Tuesday night. Thanks to the MLB Extra Innings free preview I'm watching the Dodgers vs Padres and that means I'm listening to the soothing tones of Vin Scully. There is no better announcer working today - I will not argue this, part of the reason I pay for the mlb tv online is so that I can listen to Dodger games late at night. The only reason I bought, "The Love of the Game" is because he is calling the Billy Chapel's historic last game (what you thought it was for Kevin Costner's realistic pitching motion?)
- The O's are in first. Hot Damn. 112 wins here they come! No matter what happens the rest of the year, at least the fans have that day.
- It's ok Rays fans. You can put the knives down, the season isn't over yet. It's just one loss. I know you're not used to this since you've only been following the team since August of last year, but it's going to be alright.
- The Lightning lost to the Penguins 6-4. At least they had the common courtesy to lose in regulation. It's been awhile since I've seen a team limp home like this. If the Lightning were a horse they would have been euthanized two weeks ago.
- I have two boxes of Hockey cards and a couple of packs of Topps Heritage on the way from Dave and Adam's Card World. I like this ordering online stuff. the last couple of visits to my local card shop have been less than overwhelming. Lack of inventory (still no Topps base product), lack of interest (the guy behind the desk was flipping through comic books for 5 minutes before acknowledging that I might want to buy something from him) and prices that aren't worth make me wonder if I'll even go back.
- Vin Scully just dropped the line "Like the music man, you have to know the territory". Fantastic.
- Tommorrow I will be boarding a US Air Flight to Wilmington, NC. My dad will pick me up at the airport and then we'll make the five hourish drive to Augusta, Georgia. Together we will attend the first round of the Masters on Thursday. After that we'll drive back to Wilmington for a quick round of golf on his home course before I catch a flight back to Tampa. Not a bad way to spend a couple of days - it sure beats sitting at a desk.
Enjoy the baseball folks.
1991 WUAB McDonalds Tribe Kids Fan Club Cards
7 hours ago